Monday, July 13, 2009

Here are a few pictures of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, but you should also check out Sierra's blog for some pictures of Eli and Wesley. The flower in the bottom picture was about the most beautiful thing I ever smelled. But I really like honeysuckle, so its probably tied for equally good smells.




OK, now to get really nostalgic. I just found out that the Myers Family may be back from Israel, and I felt myself immediately start to itch for some real adventure, to finally take my boys to do something amazing, not necessarily a canyon or summit, but something that I esteem huge.

Maybe something like Navajo Falls, but that is gone now thanks to Babbit and his Redlands Dam. Maybe something like Hopkins Lake and the Devils Staircase (not really that bad) in the Pasayten Wilderness in Washington, except that a huge forest fire raged through there a few years ago.

No, this isn't turning into a melancholy belch of dumb wishing for things that can never be brought back, its just the two things I initially thought of aren't really there anymore. But there are still things that can be done, like go to the little town pictured below, and walk around the hills finding beautiful rocks (which Wesley already does, no prompting from any of us...seriously, he finds pretty neat rocks even on the National Mall) or even petrified wood. Or in the same town, we can visit the grave of Sierra's great great great grandfather who was the first of her ancestors to join the church, and was actually the bodygaurd of the prophet Joseph Smith. Anyhow, this is the place where I want to own a very small cabin someday, along with Glacier WA. Can anybody name the town?

2 comments:

GunthërBrown said...

Hint: that bridge is over the Virgin River, hence the relation to Dan Myers.

mbhcimlay said...

Haha, I forgot about this post. It's Rockville, UT, on a cloudy day. This is where Allen Joseph Stout is buried, along with his family. It is such a beautiful place.