Wednesday, June 03, 2009

I built a boat. Three days after my last final, my family and I went to the lumber yard and bought five 2 x 4's of cedar, which somehow turned into that thing in the picutres on top of my car. Its not finished yet though because I still have to fiberglass it, and I'm sure that's going to be alot of work.









Thanks to John Watson for taking it down to Florida in his moving truck (not to mention everything else of ours he took down for us...), Thanks to George Roche for making it possible via instruction, actual sweat and work, and providing the awesome forum and tools for the job, and Thanks to Jed for flying out right at the crucial moment, to help me solve the mystery of the bowsprits before I had to fly off to DC. Even Telia, Ben and Aeden helped, for which I am grateful. And most especially, thanks to my beautiful wife, Sierra, for not neutering the idea right from the start, going along with confidence in the nutso idea of her husband, and only giving help and support through the whole thing.

I have alot more respect for Nephi and his family after this experience. This boat turned out to be about 15' 9" long, and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done... I can't even imagine how I could have built my own tools, let alone built a much bigger boat. But I know he did, through his faith and obedience to God. Folks, the Book of Mormon is true.

3 comments:

Amy Beatty said...

Man oh Man. I can't believe YOU built a boat. that is freaking awesome... how in the world? You blow my mind.

Brandon & Michelle said...

Wow, I am so impressed! You are such a determined man! We miss you guys so much over here!

mattbeatty said...

This is the one I was waiting for. I love how you do things with such determination, almost audacity. You just know that inside you have the skillset waiting to be extracted. You really really inspire me. I mean, just looking at this, seeing that it can be done--and by one very busy man--truly makes me want to attempt. Maybe I can be your protege sometime. I think that also when I look at one of my journals, a book that you made, quite the treasured gift. Take care Art--as Amy said too, You blow my mind! I think some Florida contact is in order.